Friday, February 23, 2007

Worship should be engaging !

I've discovered over the years that worship gatherings can be somewhat less than engaging. I've wondered why that is and often it is due to my own lack of preparedness. But, even when I'm well prepared to worship with others, I'm often left not having engaged with God and feeling empty.

Let me propose a thought as to why I think that is . . .

In his book,
Engaging with God: A Biblical Theology of Worship, David Peterson states that,

Worship of the living and true God is essentially
‘an engagement with him on the terms that he proposes and in the way that he alone makes possible'

So, with this in the fore of my mind, I ask, What would your response be if I were to say . . .

Worship is Jesus Christ !



2 Comments:

At 1:07 AM, Blogger alexander K. said...

I don’t think I really understand what that phrase means, other than suggest that perhaps you’re making an appeal to a person/persons that their act of worship should be done in realisation and acknowledgement of their relationship with Jesus. As you’ve stated, often times the human nature seeks tangible evidence that worship is indeed taking place, and that’s one of the reasons why sometimes one may feel as if they have not fully engaged with God Almighty --- when the evidence is not manifest in any tangible way. However, by “Worshipping in Jesus Christ”, one would be submitting his/her/their being to God just as they are with their heart, mind, soul and strength. I would like to think that Jesus perfects every bit of sincere worship that is offered, irrespective of one’s humanly feelings. After all, worship is not for our enjoyment, but God’s. That said, I think it’s normal and OK for one to be concerned if they don’t feel that they have engaged with God during worship. It could be a sign of, well, something, who knows?

 
At 2:00 PM, Blogger Mary van Maaren said...

I would rather express it: worship is MEETING Jesus Christ, standing before Him being with Him. Worship releases His presence so we get to be with Him.
Most people are so consumed of how the congregation will respond, whether people engage, that they forget to meet Jesus themselves. Worship leading is about going ahead and engaging in that encounter....then the presence of God is released and people might choose to follow that.
When I'm leading I have only one responsibilty, that's that I know the place I'm leading the others too. That needs to be a very familiar place to me. I can't lead where I do not live.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home